Friday 7 October 2011


Grand Trunk Road
I was thinking what to write for last few days.Today i went to Islamabaad on my way from Taxila an ancient city.So i thought to share  about the great oldest & longest major road Grand Trunk Road. For several centuries,it has linked the eastren and western regions of the Indian subcontinent, running from Bangladesh, across north  India,into  Purushapura (  Peshawar)   in Pakistan,up to Kabul, Afghanistan.It was initiated during Maurya Empire in 3rd century(B.C.E)& later renovated &entended in 16th century (A.D) by Sher Shah Suri a pashtun emperor who then ruled much of Northern India.
 Original portion of the Grand Trunk Road from 1539 to1545 (A.D).It is also called Sadak-e-Azam.Fruit trees were planted on either side of the road.Grain & fodder were supplied for Horses and Cattle at each  caravanserai.This road runs from Kabul (Afghanistan) to Calcutta (India).Me & my daughter  enjoy  a lot.My daughter    running around with  joy & all excitement.There  was  a market near by.We had our lunch in a small  road side hotel( Dhaba).I loved their  tea which we had after lunch.After lunch  we had small  walk  on this  ancient road.I was thinking about that time.Found myself  there &felt i am surrounded by them.I was having wonderfull feelings that time.It  will take a  while  to get back in a the real world.

2 comments: