Thursday 8 September 2011

Tabocco Pouch



Yesterday I was thinking on what new topic I should write on, when suddenly I saw this old tabocco pouch. So I thought to myself what better than to share the story of this pouch with my sweet friends.
This pouch belonged to my grandmother and is handmade using silk, cloth and twigs. It is embroidered and has beautiful silver all around it.
It was handed to my mother as part of her dowry when she got married and then when I got married this 70 year old pouch became mine! I love this whole tradition and now Im looking forward to giving it to my daughter on her wedding. In olden days the men would sit in hujras* smoking their tabocco pipes and flaunting these pouches; a tradition that is hardly seen now a days.
But more about that in my forthcoming posts! Inshallah will write more about my rich culture soon! Till then Allah Hafiz and Pa Aman!


*Hujra - Groups / Sit outs.


1 comment:

  1. Thats such a beautiful piece of Heritage and style. The way you have told us about its heritage and significance in a woman's life in your region, I was highly impressed. Such things may lose their usefulness in daily life but will always have great value as fond memories, Heritage and Heirloom to be cherished for all times. Thank you for sharing one of your priceless possessions.

    ReplyDelete